Minutes for KSBA Executive Meeting on September 7, 2021

Kentucky State Beekeepers Association (KSBA)
Board Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Attendance: 11 total (8 officers/directors)

The meeting was held via web teleconferencing.

KSBA President Tom Ballinger called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m. ET.

State Fair

  1. Fair Wrap Up – Scott More reported that he does not have the State Fair attendance numbers yet as they have not yet been published. Rick LeMarr posted the Sate Fair sales totals which Scott also sent out via email. The total sales was ~ $50,000. There was 25% more Certified honey and they made about 55% of the sales.
  2. Strengths and Opportunities for next year – Scott noted that due to other priorities, we should table this to the October meeting. Mike Mabry motioned, Theresa Martin seconded. The group voted and all were in favor.
  3. Hats off to Scott and Rick – Many complemented the organization of the State Fair honey booth. Everything was well organized and it looked professional and well run.

CKHP Funding Gap

The Department of Agriculture KCARD grant funding for Certified Kentucky Honey Program runs out on September 15, 2021. Tom worked with them to request an emergency extension. and received a verbal agreement for a 1 year $64,404. Tom asked Jessica Mays to take the lead on this going forward.

Jessica reported that the original 2019/2020 funding was for $128,808. We need to produce 3 documents by September 24 to renew for 1 year for $64,404. We will need a new grant request and/or have made the program sustainable by next summer.

Jessica walked the group through the prior grant application that was submitted. These prior documents must be updated, which includes the application and 3 years of budget and program goals. Jessica shared that the original grant request was pre-COVID with goals set for the end of 2020. Dr. Tammy Horn Potter offered to share documents created in the past that need to be modified but would be helpful as a starting point.

Jessica shared the budget as well. Tom offered several ideas for areas in the budget that can be reduced. Joe Taylor reported that the $500 donation from the Kentucky Queen Breeders Association was a 1 time donation and should not be expected again.

The group also discussed the need to revise the goals to reflect current membership for KSBA and CKHP and realistic goals. Tammy offered that the membership numbers were boosted in the past due to a Kelly Beekeeping requirement for attendees to be KSBA members. However, this does not reflect the true membership as the Kelly event is not held any longer.

The group discussed the need to have a separate discussion on ways to increase membership in KSBA by offering increased value. Because local associations have not been meeting, KSBA has created an improved BeeLines newsletter and online training via Phil Craft’s classes.

The same discussion ensued for how to increase CKHP membership. Scott Moore reported that current CKHP membership is at about 70. Tammy reported that there was some negative press from some beekeepers towards the program that hindered the program. The group discussed the need for better advertising and marketing of the CKHP program as well.

Tammy offered that there are several possible sources of in-kind/match funding that could be requested such as the classes paid by the State Apiarist fund for Phil Craft’s courses and funds paid for Beelines production. These are for educational purposes.

Jessica will set up the documents as a shared document so everyone can input into them.

501c5 to 501c3 Conversion

Jessica reported briefly on this and asked this to be put on the September 16 meeting for a detailed discussion. Tom got quotes for doing this conversion from several companies, along with book keeping, federal and state reporting for ~$2,500 per year. Jessica reported that she did a canvas of some state associations, and some are c5, some are c3 and some are both. Rick LeMarr reported that because we were delinquent on our non-profit status, it was easier to restore us to a c5 vs. a c3. However, now that we are reinstated and in good standing as a c5, there is no reason that Rick could recall that we should not convert to a c3.

KSBA General Meeting in November

Tom suggested we hold the meeting virtually, given that many Extension offices are not offering in person meetings. The group selected the date of Saturday, November 13 at 6 p.m. Tom asked Tammy to identify a keynote speaker. We will discuss further at the next meeting on September 16.

Linking All Facebook Posts to KSBA

Rick sent a motion via email to the group to recommend the KSBA website be included in EVERY post. Rick put a link on the Administrator page on how to include the link. The group agreed this should be done. Theresa Martin, as Secretary of KSBA, was added as an Administrator to the KSBA web page. Rick made a motion. Joe Taylor seconded. Motion passed.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:23 p.m. (EST). Motioned by Jessica Mayes. Seconded by Leonard Davis.