Minutes for KSBA Executive Meeting on January 20, 2022

Kentucky State Beekeepers Association (KSBA)
Board Meeting Minutes
Thursday January 20, 2022

Attendance: 13 total (7 officers/directors)

The meeting was held via web teleconferencing and was recorded.

KSBA President Jessica Mayes called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. ET.

The minutes from the December 16, 2021 meeting were presented and approved. Motioned by Lisa Anglin and seconded by Mike Mabry. Motion passed.

Project Updates and New Projects

  1. Bee Suppliers, Equipment Suppliers and Speaker –
    Jessica briefed the group on recent email discussions prompted by Jake Barker to create a list of bee suppliers. This is similar to recent discussions regarding producing a speaker list and an equipment supplier list. Phil Craft pointed out that this is common need and when teaching classes, he is regularly asked to offer a list of equipment suppliers and bee suppliers. Right now, Phil has no credible answers to give when asked this question.
    Lisa mentioned that she liked the proposal Theresa Martin put in email and that a disclaimer should be made for all such lists, including the current “Buy Local” list. Tammy Horn Potter recommended that on our KSBA website, we should caution beekeepers against buying used equipment due to the potential for disease transfer. Tammy also noted that bee suppliers, when asked, should be able to provide an inspection record. Jessica suggested we provide a basic list of questions for beekeepers to ask to help them make informed decisions on their purchases. Theresa Martin re-iterated the proposal she sent in email and restated that she will represent KSBA at the upcoming Jake Barker meeting and bring back ideas to the board.
    Mike Mabry cautioned that he is concerned about being fair and asked if we are charging people to post on our list or require them to be a KSBA member to post. He asked if we are going to charge people to post to the listing.
  2. Honey House
    Jessica briefed the group that the current laws for when a dedicated honey house or processing in a certified kitchen (church, extension office) is required is when a producer produces 150 gallons or more. Jessica indicated that request for KSBA is to consider lobbying for legislation to raise the level to 500 gallons, like some of the surrounding states. Tim Sheehan is in the middle of building a honey house and explained that it’s very expensive and a barrier for honey producers to making a profitable business. Tim pointed out that honey is a processed food vs. corn or apples that are a product off the farm.
    Tammy mentioned and Jessica re-iterated that opening this has the potential to create concerns and cause the legislation to reduce the levels. Joe Taylor pointed out that there was a potential prior to the current legislation at the level of the 150 for everyone to have to have a honey house regardless of the amount. Rick LeMarr mentioned that he processes his honey in Tennessee due to Kentucky’s more restrictive honey house regulations.
    Lisa said she’d look into any historical situation and will work with contacts from the Farmers Market to understand the original writers of the legislation. Phil explained that 150 gallons was borrowed from Europe’s laws. She will work with Tim who is also investigating this. Lisa, Tim, and Joe can gather information to bring back to the group.
  3. Update on KSBA Document Repository – Theresa and Rick
    Theresa Martin (Secretary) notified the group that the document repository is up and functional. She received documents from Tammy, Jessica, R. Scott Moore and others. For all future KSBA documents, all board members should file their documents on the shared drive. Follow the SOP files and directions Rick produced or get your documents to Theresa to file for you.

Financial Topics

  1. Treasurer Position – Jessica is acting as interim Treasurer as we still do not have one. Jessica received multiple boxes and thumb drive from Jan Rafert, the prior Treasurer. Jessica asked again for the board to forward candidates for Treasurer to her. It is not a good long term solution, nor is it viable from a workload perspective for Jessica to act as Treasurer.
  2. Treasurer Report – For now, Jessica showed a report with the balances in the 4 KSBA Accounts: General Account $14,871.33 CKHP $1,640.21 State Fair $7,782.34 State Apiarist $10,690.09.
  3. Budget – Jessica is working to create a budget and asked the group to input into it and add expenses, income and amounts. She shared the draft with everyone on her screen.
  4. Taxes – The organization that did our taxes last year charged $900 and then still filed an extension. If we are going to ask them to do it again, it would be cheaper, yet they did a marginal job given the need to file an extension. The 990 form was the crux of why we lost our 501c5 and so this must be done on time. Jessica asked for any input and Scott offered that maybe KCARD could help. Jessica said this is a good idea and will touch base with Aleta at KCARD.
  5. Accounting Firm – The firm in Mt. Sterling we found via a recommendation from Kentucky Non-Profit Network and the Community Foundation said they would do our accounting for $175 per month. However, Jan indicated that what they are offering to do for this fee will not cover the 10 to 20 hours per week that the job of Treasurer requires. Scott, Rick, and Jessica discussed this to see how to streamline the processes. Even so, we may still need to hire out some of the role for some services but it’s unclear what all is included in the Treasurer role as this is ill defined. Jessica offered that Jan suggested perhaps we should have an audit to see where our strengths and weaknesses are. Jessica is willing to do this work to try to figure this all out. Tammy pointed out that having a Treasurer is a higher priority than addressing honey house regulations. Phil pointed out that in the past, KSBA has had a hired accounting firm. EAS also offers a stipend to their Treasurer.
  6. ByLaws and Record Retention – Theresa notified the group that she is in the process of updating the KSBA bylaws and will work on record retention as well.
  7. 501c5 to 501c3 Conversion – Jessica is working with Maylee Burk, a non-profit legal service in Cincinnati. They indicated that the 1023 form must be completed and the conversion will cost approximately $6,000. Given her many priorities, she will continue to work on this but not as her top priority.
  8. Other Topics – None.

Board Topics

  1. KSBA Officer and Director Vacancies Progress – Jessica asked if anyone had come up with candidates for the open KSBA officer positions (President Elect, Vice President, Treasurer). No one offered candidate suggestions.
  2. Jessica nominated Phil Craft to the Board of Directors. Phil is a former Kentucky State Apiarist and in the process of retiring. He has a history with KSBA and a great wealth of knowledge. Phil would like to get involved in assisting KSBA as a Director on the Board of Directors. Joe Taylor seconded the nomination. The board voted unanimously to add Phil Craft to the Board of Directors.

Certified Kentucky Honey Program (CKHP)

  1. Grant Update – Jessica received the signed copies of the paperwork from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture boar with the required signatures from Jessica and Brian Lacefield. The grant money is expected to be deposited in 7 to 10 business days.
  2. Guidelines Revisions – Scott made some revisions to the guidelines to clean up the language and references.
  3. Application – Scott updated the language regarding new vs. renewals and added similar questions that the KSBA application includes. Scott provided this to Rick to create an electronic application on the KSBA website. Scott and Rick have the online application working and Scott tested it with a few users. The work on the backend is in progress to automate having it go to the local association presidents.
  4. Label Form – Scott asked how tax should be handled and who should pay it as we are required to pay taxes on labels we sell. He asked if KSBA should pay it or pass this tax to purchasers. The total tax on 50 rolls is ~$20 so a minimal amount. Jessica made a motion for KSBA to pay the taxes and Joe Taylor seconded. The board voted unanimously in favor. The board voted that KSBA will pay this tax and NOT pass it on to purchasers. Scott will update the form to show “Tax Included.”
  5. System Award Management – CKHP registration needs to be renewed by January 31, 2022. A single year is $500. This is needed if we pursue federal grants. Tammy pointed out that until we have a Treasurer, we will not likely be in a position to pursue additional grant funding and that we are not a 501c3. Scott will look into if we can let our registration lapse and what the work or penalty would be to re-register later.
  6. Hive and Barrel Meadery – Scott has 7-8 honey producers interested in this partnership. He sent an email out to all CKHP members. He is connecting these producers with the Meadery. Jessica pointed out that we could have an event, meeting, and publicity there to highlight this partnership. They are excited to host us as well. The group elaborated on the value of this partnership and possible ideas for the future.
  7. State Fair SOP – Scott is working on this with Tom Ballinger and Joe Taylor who are on this committee.
  8. January 15 Bee School Feedback – Jessica reported that Scott’s presentation on honey labeling was well received with a lot of positive feedback, and she thanked Scott for his hard work on this.
  9. Testing CKHP Honey – Tim Sheehan asked if we are random testing CKHP honey. Scott reported there is funding in the recent grant for this and he is working with Tammy to identify labs who can perform tests.

Events and Outreach

  1. Allen County In Person Bee School – Mike Mabry is planning to attend to represent KSBA. Jessica got business cards made for use at events such as this. She has signs and banners as well. She is working with Blue Sky Bee Supply for some hive tools with KSBA on them.
  2. Other Topics – None

Education Topics

  1. Spring Meeting – Phil updated that Dr. Katie Lee from University of Minnesota who will be our speaker. She was instrumental in the current methods and parameters for doing an mite alcohol wash. The date is still set for April 23 at the KSU farm. Jessica is working with Phil on ensuring there are strong COVID management practices in place.
  2. Update on recent and upcoming Phil Craft classes – Rick reported that each class has approximately 10 attendees. Many are reviewing the videos after the class concludes. Phil did the 4th one this week called “Buying Bees.” It is challenging for Phil to answer questions on where to buy bees, hence the need for a list of suppliers. Theresa will forward some ideas for how to possibly more easily register for classes.
  3. Bee Schools – Theresa asked how club associations are doing scheduling bee schools and reported out on her Whitley County club’s plans. Several in the group noted upcoming schools. Rick reminded everyone to submit their school plans to the website so he can get them on our KSBA calendar.
  4. Other Educational Topics – None

Call For New Business

  1. Lisa asked if there are statistics on the beekeepers in Kentucky, their operations, locations, and their needs from KSBA. Tammy reported that there are approximately 2,400 to 3,000 beekeepers with 10,000 and 15,000 colonies in Kentucky depending on the season and where commercial beekeepers in Kentucky might have their colonies located and what is considered a colony (nuc vs. full sized hives). Tammy also reported there were 1,600 readers of the BeeLines and that this does not technically mean every reader is a beekeeper. Lisa offered to create a survey to learn more about Kentucky beekeepers and their needs. Rick said he can put this survey online.
  2. Rick shared his business card and that he is officially a commercial beekeeper! The group heartily congratulated Rick and wished him great success!

The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 p.m. ET.